Sunday, March 13, 2011

Can't Judge A Pita By Its...


Since following the Flat Belly Diet, whole wheat pitas have become a staple. They are usually a healthier choice than other breads so I don't mind. What is surprising is that the number of calories varies immensely from one brand to another. There is a 30 calorie difference between the two varieties shown here. It would be natural to assume that the smaller pita by Toufayan Bakeries would contain fewer calories than the larger Kontos brand but that isn't the case. There are 140 calories in the larger pita, which is what the plan calls for, and 170 in the other. The extra time it takes to check nutritional information prior to purchase is definitely worth it. I could have saved myself a few calories if I had done so. 

3 comments:

  1. I remember when you used to put cheesy eggs in these. They were so delicious.

    It's crazy about the calorie difference! Its things like that which make it difficult to estimate calories-- especially when eating out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog, Sarah.

    ReplyDelete

What makes a blog worth reading? Comments from people like you. Share your thoughts here.