Saturday, March 26, 2011

So Many Resources, Never Enough Time

Lydia loves being outside.
Children, animals, nature... three great ways to reconnect with oneself, spiritually-speaking. If I'm feeling a bit out-of-touch, it helps to spend time with one or the other. They seem to be interconnected and embody life in its simplest form. I like that.

Hand a kid a bucket, a big stick and a couple of rocks, and then direct them to the nearest mud puddle and they'll stay busy for hours. Add Fido to the mix and they'll lose complete track of time. It's a simple concept but true.

If you happen to come visit, don't be surprised by the micro piles of (I don't want to misrepresent my skills as a housekeeper.) Wisconsin Natural Resources magazines evident in nearly every room of the house. The publication has been delivered to my door for many years and to be honest, I have a hard time getting rid of them. I do not claim to have read every issue from cover to cover but whenever I pick one up and begin leafing through, I'm always amazed by the great information and wonderful photos inside.

This month's issue has a picture of a young girl on the cover holding a young garter snake. The headline reads: "Trips to See Snakes Saw-Whets and Sturgeon." The article it references is "Explore with the Experts," in which they list twenty-nine spring through fall field trips hosted by The Natural Resources Foundation. They are meant to enhance your outdoor experience here in Wisconsin. I am not posting the list but let me say this, if you've ever thought about going deep into the forest at night to listen to wolves howling, or kayaking through a remote wilderness, or taking a hike in the wetlands to learn about different species of frogs, or trying your hand at fly fishing, then check out the latest issue of Wisconsin Natural Resources.

3 comments:

  1. Some magazines are more like books and are difficult to part with... like Wis. Natural Resources. That said, I'm unloading magazines (cds, books, etc.) like crazy right now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does Wisconsin Natural Resources advertise on your site? Or have you just chosen to feature them? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to feature them and asked them for a graphic of the front cover.

    ReplyDelete

What makes a blog worth reading? Comments from people like you. Share your thoughts here.