Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Rotten Banana

Sometimes when I need it most, it is nowhere to be found. But, fortunately, my focus was razor sharp the day I created this marker rendering of the so called rotten banana.


I remember the day well. Several years ago I was attending school while earning a degree in commercial art. There was a one hour break between classes and I was going to use the time to complete the assignment for my next class: Illustration. Rather than completing the piece, I rendered it it unusable. I started to panic. Please! No more late assignments! (I learned that taking all of the courses recommended in a semester with four school age children at home isn't always a wise choice. . . too much homework.)

As I sat there thinking about the potential consequences of what I had done, I could feel the determination well up inside of me. I wasn't ready to give up quite yet. The banana that I packed for lunch pulled double duty that day. It was a perfect specimen for my illustration; and it helped stave off total starvation. The near lightning speed rendering earned me an A-

When I strive to find the necessary focus to complete certain tasks, I can't help but think about that day. I could use a few more of those "rotten banana" days.

2 comments:

  1. I love this story. I can't believe you earned a degree while raising four kids. You should get some special recognition for that :)

    I like your use of italics to create emphasis. It's as though--even though the blog has format restrictions--you still squeeze some graphic design into it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a lot to be said for creating quickly - it keeps your censoring critic/editor out of the way. Love the banana and its tale.

    ReplyDelete

What makes a blog worth reading? Comments from people like you. Share your thoughts here.