Monday, July 27, 2009

Interesting?? Tidbits


A
few things I
learned today...
  • Cucumber beetles (Acalymma vittatum) will destroy cucumber, squash, pumpkin and melon plants by feeding on the leaves and blooms. Their larvae feed on the roots, killing the plant. They also feed on peas, bean, corn and the blossoms on other plants. Another thing I learned about cucumber beetles is that they're non-drinkers. Someone said they are attracted to beer and would fall in and drown if I put a dish of it in my garden. It's been two hours now and nothing so far.
  • To preserve your homegrown herbs, wash and dry them, place on paper towel and microwave on high power for 30 - 40 seconds. You can then crumble the dried herbs and store into an airtight container. Fantastic!
  • Each of us has a clear gel-like fluid inside our eye called the vitreous and as we get older, especially if we're near-sighted or have certain other conditions, it can begin to thicken or shrink and pull away from the back of the eye. This is called posterior vitreous detachment. When this happens you can experience your own personal "light show." This happened to me this past weekend. I saw continuous shooting stars in the peripheral of my right eye. I questioned my sanity for a while since there was no rhyme nor reason for it. Thanks to the doctor I now know exactly what caused it and when I turn out the lights and see shooting stars inside my house, I won't be so surprised.
  • Rose Marie Terenzio, John F. Kennedy, Jr.'s personal assistant and confidant was on Good Morning America talking about her relationship with John, and the kind of person he was. According to Rose, John used to say, "Nothing is ever as good or as bad as the current situation will have you believe." I like that.

2 comments:

  1. I've also heard that you can preserve fresh herbs by mixing them into butter. That way the air can't get to them, they are as good as fresh, and you don't need to worry about buying too much. Someday I'll actually do that. & I bet margarine would work just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting... they must stored in the refrigerator then. That would make a flavorful spread. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

What makes a blog worth reading? Comments from people like you. Share your thoughts here.