Saturday, May 12, 2012

Lorene Eleanor


Thursday night was spent with a very special lady who was just 16 years old in the framed photograph shown here. The book beside it is one that a sister and I co-authored a couple years ago; with Mom's help of course. It is about the life of a child who grew up during the Depression and whos mother fought to keep her family clothed and fed.


This is Lorene Eleanor, the girl in the framed photo. She is my mother. (Well, I actually share her with five siblings.) Lorene's mother, Lou Vina Mae, named her after Eleanor Roosevelt. Mom will be 82 years young in a little over a month.


Thursday night with Mom was an early start to this weekend's Mother's Day celebration. She loved the hydrangeas that I picked up on my way there. The beautiful purple butterfly is a gift from other adoring family members. It accented the arrangement perfectly.

Whenever I visit with Mom, Scrabble is part of our routine; one that we both thoroughly enjoy. This time was no different. We played two games, one on Thursday and another on Friday. The board shown here is from Friday's game.

As you see the X, Z, and Q were played early in the game. Guess who played these high-scoring letters. . . and guess who completely diverted my attention from one area of the board to another so she could play her Z. . . and guess who just had to tell me that she did it intentionally. . . and guess who won this game as well the one played on Thursday.


It was the cat that ate the canary, that's who.

I love this little canary cat with all my heart. Happy Mother's Day, Mom.

4 comments:

  1. Sweet tribute to your Mom, Karen. I'm playing online Scrabble right now so I know all about cutting off one side of the board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, this was so sweet to read. Grandma is sneaky! Happy Mother's Day to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful tribute to your mom. I've heard many stories about her from Kelley. Also, I saw the book you and Kelley put together and loved it! The spark in your mother's eyes tells me that she is a kind, witty, patient, generous woman.

    Oh... and remind me to NEVER play Scrabble with her :-)

    Happy Mother's Day to you, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful mom, beautiful daughter. Happy Mother's Day to both of you.

    ReplyDelete

What makes a blog worth reading? Comments from people like you. Share your thoughts here.