Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Not So Skinny Dips

At the risk of sounding boring, I am willingly admitting to not having plans for New Year's Eve. I prefer to spend the evening at home. If I can work in a game or two of Scrabble during the evening, consider me contented.

If I were entertaining, there are a couple tasty dishes that would certainly be on the menu. I would like to share them with you. I guarantee (kinda, sorta) that they'll be a hit at your party. There's guacamole dip and then there's SUPER BOWL OF GUACAMOLE. I've found none better. The following recipe for shrimp dip became a favorite many years ago when it was served at a party my husband's parents attended. It is especially good on Breton sesame crackers.

When I revisited this post I realized that my graphic
was a lobster rather than a shrimp. Hummmm.. or is
it? Where are the claws? What is this thing!?!
Shrimp Dip
1 can tomato soup
2 envelopes KNOX gelatin
1/2 cup cold water
1-1/2 cups Miracle Whip
2 packages cream cheese
   (1 large and 1 small)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 small onion, finely diced
3/4 cup green pepper, finely
    diced
1-3/4 cups celery, finely diced
2 small cans shrimp, diced

Warm tomato soup. Mix gelatin and water together and add to soup. Add remaining ingredients to soup mixture. Mix well with electric mixer. Refrigerate overnight.

And for New Year's Day. . . have you ever considered a pot of bean soup with cornbread? Neither had I until we received a gift that included a packet of beans and a recipe for French Market Soup. Delicious! I think you'll agree.

French Market Soup
2 cups dried beans (The pre-packaged kind
with several different varieties in it.)
2 quarts water
1 large ham hock
1-16 ounce can whole tomatoes,
undrained and coarsely chopped
1-1/2 cups chopped onion
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 chili pepper, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1-1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Wash beans and place in a 4 quart pan. Cover with water 2 inches above beans. Let soak for 8 hours. Drain beans and return to pan. Add 2 quarts water and ham hock.  Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Stir in tomatoes and next 4 ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Remove ham hock and let cool slightly. Remove meat from hock, chop and add to soup. Mix in salt and pepper.
Yield: 3 quarts

Note: To speed soaking time, bring 2 quarts of water to boil. Add the beans and boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 1 hour. Drain and proceed as directed.

1 comment:

What makes a blog worth reading? Comments from people like you. Share your thoughts here.