Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Most Magnificent Sounds




There's Magic In
The Silence

Perched on the floor next to me 
are three bright-eyed little girls.
Their chins rest upon their hands, 
their elbows upon their knees.


Their day was filled with laughter, 
good friends, and gifts galore.
"Now," I say,"turn down the lights.”
“It's time to take it slower." 


As the sun sets in the west 
and the snow begins to swirl, 
it seems the Christmas lights 
shine even brighter than before.


There is a sense of peace 
in the freshly fallen snow but
as I peer out the window I hear, 
"I thought there would be more."


"Please be quiet and listen 
to the stillness all around.
There's magic in the silence. . .
speak less and it will be found."


As I threw open the window I said, 
"Come closer. . . grab a blanket or two."
Then we huddled on the floor as the
snowflakes came tumbling through.


"Did you see that shooting star
in the distant northern sky and
hear the swooshing sound it made
as it quickly passed on by?"


"And do you hear the crunching
as a grey fox makes its way
along the path by the pines
near that place you like to play?"


 "I believe I hear a heartbeat.
Do you think that could be so?
It reminds me of the love I feel. . .
is that an icicle on your nose!?!"


“You may not hear each snowflake
as it tumbles to the ground,
but if you are quiet, you will hear
the most magnificent sounds.”


“Learn to listen patiently 
and you will come to see
that the world is full of wonder
—and the best of it is free.”         

No comments:

Post a Comment

What makes a blog worth reading? Comments from people like you. Share your thoughts here.