Saturday, December 10, 2011

Up On The Rooftop

"He had a broad face and a round little belly, that shook when he laughed, like a bowl full of jelly."

My dad looked the part when he donned his santa suit and posed in front of our tree on the Christmas Eve of 1956.

I don't recall this particular moment in time but I do remember Mom telling my siblings and I that Santa was coming and that if we were quiet we would be able to hear him on the rooftop. Sure enough, we heard thumping noises overhead. Whether the noises emanated from the roof or attic, I'm not sure, but who cares when you're five. Some years later, we discovered Dad's santa suit stashed in the upper cabinet in the bathroom.
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Bags of nuts, candied cherries, chocolate chips and numerous other ingredients have yet to make it out of the grocery bags they were brought home in. I never quite have the space to store all of the extra ingredients needed for Christmas cookie baking, which is next weeks project. Yes, I will be baking up a storm as Mom used to say. Then the task at hand will be to rid the house of every last bit of the holiday goodies as quickly as possible. You will most likely understand my motivation.

This year I will be making Homemade Caramels. A recipe I found at a website called Modern Stead . Take a look and you'll understand why I've added them to my list of treats to make. And while I'm at it I'd also like to direct you to the recipe that I will be making for dinner on Sunday, Lemon and Basil Roasted Chicken. It looks fantastic. A side dish that I've made several times is (S)mashed Potatoes, also found at the Modern Stead website. It's a tasty alternative to traditional baked or mashed potatoes.

Last but not least, I'd like to share one of my best cookie recipes. It is The Cookie of All Cookies. They may look typical but based on the response of those who have tried them, they are not your standard chocolate chip cookie. But you be the judge. Give them a try and let me know what you think.

P.S. A few additional revisions have been made to my Magic In The Silence poem. Peek away. . .

9 comments:

  1. That is a great photo. His mittens look stiff. :)

    I wish I could transport myself to your kitchen next week. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad's mittens do look rather stiff in the photo, Jessie. Maybe his hands froze while he was on the rooftop waiting for Mom to convince us that he was real.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've ever seen this picture of Dad. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelley: This was in Mom's box of photos but you may not have recognized Dad. He is dressed as Santa Claus after all. He looked like a "giant of a man" next to the mini tree, but I think he was only 5' 8" tall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post, Karen, and thanks for visiting my blog. Re: whoever/whomever - I think technically 'whomever' would be correct where you used it, BUT it I've never heard anyone use it and think 'whoever' is conventional. Also: you *do* have a writer's mind. I 'hear' it in your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops, an extra 'it' in that comment (after BUT). . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Read your nice comment and skipped right over "it" as if "it" wasn't there. Thank you, Sharon C. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for referencing my recipes Karen! Hope they turn out beautifully. Oh, and by the way, when I saw the photo on this page, I kind of freaked out. It looks like a photo I have here... http://www.modernstead.com/walk-the-talk-%E2%80%93-project-simplify/. The photo is of a Ricky Ricardo Santa doll that I dug out of a closet and sold on ebay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Julie: I remember seeing that photo on your website. Dad would have made a good "Fred" doll.

    Many like the original Christmas Carol movie. It's been years since I've seen it. I should watch it again. An afternoon delight. . . a little plum pudding and Ebenezer Scrooge.

    ReplyDelete

What makes a blog worth reading? Comments from people like you. Share your thoughts here.