Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Cool Weather Comfort

Twenty degree weather has prompted me to make heartier meals. This recipe fills the bill. It's hearty, delicious, and extremely simple to make. Add a salad and cornbread and you've got a great meal. It's even better the next day. 

Calico Bean Casserole
1 pound ground beef
2-4 slices bacon (optional)
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 cup catsup
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
2 teaspoon white vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 can kidney beans
1 can butter beans
1 can pork and beans

Brown ground beef, bacon, and onion. Drain and mix in catsup, salt, mustard, vinegar, and brown sugar. Stir in kidney beans, butter beans, and pork and beans. (I used standard size cans of each.) Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Note: I included the bacon and probably will next time I make this. It adds a wonderful smokey flavor to the dish. This is obviously not for calorie counters like myself but I believe tasting is allowed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

What makes a blog worth reading? Comments from people like you. Share your thoughts here.