Friday, April 22, 2011

Things I Love: Richard Scarry's Puzzletown



Richard Scarry's
build and play
world of
Puzzletown
circa 1976




I've done a lot of de-cluttering over the past several years but this toy is still part of the household. It's been a favorite of mine for decades. I got it for my children when we lived in Florida many years ago. There are pieces missing and the box is held together with duck tape but it's still mostly in tact. There were five sets available at that time. Two are represented here: Set C Farmer Alfalfa's Farm and Set D Mayor Fox's Town Center.

The back of the box reads: 

"Mayor Fox's Town Center provides children with the opportunity for creative building. There are playboards into which children fit walls and fences, signs and lampposts, trees and bushes and other storybook pieces. There are roof pieces that turn over and double as bases for the building pieces. And there's a motorcycle for Sgt. Murphy to ride, plus a car so Mrs. Murphy can run errands or visit Mayor Fox. Children use all these pieces to build and rebuild the Town Center any way they wish!"

6 comments:

  1. My kids used to love Busytown, but I didn't have the puzzles... they would have loved it! We had a computer game and a lot of the books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Sue. I wasn't familiar with Busytown so I googled it. I see that is was also a Richard Scary toy. Interesting. Was it strictly books and a computer game? Do you have certain toys of your kids that you hang onto?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did my comments go?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recent comments are always shown at the top of this column, Jessie. Although you don't see yours here, they still exist. See "Comments" under the posts you commented on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must not have followed through with posting it or something--whoops! Anyway, Thanks for posting this! It is so nostalgic to see it again. I loved this toy and remember piecing it together, and I remember thinking the little motorcycle was pretty fun too. It looks like YOU had fun setting it up for the photoshoot :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a fun toy because there are so many different ways to arrange it—limited only by one's imagination. I always liked "planting" the garden.

    ReplyDelete

What makes a blog worth reading? Comments from people like you. Share your thoughts here.