Saturday, February 26, 2011

28-Day Plan: Day 2

As expected, the Strawberry Chocolate Waffle from yesterday was my favorite meal (actually afternoon snack). Foods with saturated fat are very limited on this diet so how can chocolate be on the menu? Apparently, the saturated fat in dark chocolate is stearic acid, which is different. It is largely converted to oleic acid in the body and that's a MUFA (monounsaturated fatty acid). In other words, it's a good fat.

Speaking of favorites, the Chicken and Apple Salad was a close second. By the time it was completely assembled, my dinner plate was heaped full of romaine, tomato, apple and chicken. I topped it off with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. And it was so darn pretty!

I took another look at the shopping and exchange lists in my Flat Belly Diet Pocket Guide and noted that I had done better than I thought at the market. There are actually few items that I need to purchase since so many substitutions are allowed. I was glad to see that many of the oils, some of which are rather expensive, can be exchanged. 

A basic version of today's menu follows. Bolded items signify a Flat Belly Diet recipe.

Walnut Apple Waffle

Chicken Sandwich
1 small banana

 Crackers with Almond Butter
Apple

Scrambled Egg and Toast
1/2 grapefruit
1 string cheese

Since I will be going away today, the challenge is how to eat out and still stay on-program. Needless to say, my handy Flat Belly Diet pocket guide will be near me at all times.

2 comments:

  1. That salad looks delicious. I'm always at a loss when it comes to salad, but maybe I'll try making this one tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recipe calls for organic or low-sodium chicken breast from the deli. I ended up with natural turkey breast since that is all the store carried. The apple is a granny smith, which is tarter than other varieties. The recipe also says that you can take two small whole wheat crackers and crumble them over the top of the salad after tossing it with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. It was very good.

    ReplyDelete

What makes a blog worth reading? Comments from people like you. Share your thoughts here.