Sunday, January 15, 2012

Tracks

Visitors knocked on the door early this morning to tell
us that they saw some of these near our creek bed:


They believed the tracks were made by:


But I wondered if they might belong to:


Then I found:


Once my curiosity was satisfied
my thoughts turned to:


And then:


(I could go on and on.)


I have on occasion seen coyotes on the property as well heard their mournful howls but we have not had any problems with them. There was a recent incident in Madison in which a small dog was attacked by one outside its home but such things are rare.

The coyote population is growing but since we have not had chickens for years, I feel that we have little reason for concern. You'll likely understand if you've ever seen the movie Barnyard. If you wish to learn more about the chicken-coyote connection, and also be entertained, I suggest you watch it. It's certainly no Buck but it is a hoot.

6 comments:

  1. I need to watch that! Still going back and forth about whether or not to get chickens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have had to check the tracks, too, and find out what critter it was. . . And then your mind goes to Wiley Coyote. . . heh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, my mind does, Sharon C. I wonder what that is indicative of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard coyotes when I was camping this fall. It was so beautiful, but a bit scary. They sounded like they were right in our campsite, and they were so beautifully musical! First one started howling, then a whole bunch of them together, and then they all cut off abruptly. I can't wait to hear them again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, Sue. Love the sound of the coyotes howling. I'm not sure if our camping guests were too thrilled about it though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post, Karen...you had me laughing the whole way through. We have some coyotes here in Stone Creek...I suppose the construction took away some of their habitat although we are still surrounded by woods. I've only seen one of them, but I can hear them at times.

    ReplyDelete

What makes a blog worth reading? Comments from people like you. Share your thoughts here.