Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Crackle, Pop, Whisper

It's one in the morning and I've been lying here listening to the house crackle and pop for the past hour and a half. I'll blame it on the wind, which has been blowing consistently for the past two days—and the fact that I live in a 100 plus year old farm house. 

Although they seldom occur, sleepless nights are a major annoyance that are not tolerated well. I force sleep for a certain amount of time and then I usually get up and write.

There were dozens of thoughts zipping around in my head as I attempted slumber. Some of these had to do with a charming movie called Buckwhich my husband and I viewed earlier in the evening.

It is a 2011 documentary about a real life horse whisperer named Buck Brannaman. Directed by Cindy Meehl, the film is a Sundance Audience Award Winner for Best Documentary.

I didn't realize that this Netflix selection, which was thoroughly ignored over the holidays, would be so entertaining. I adore the film—and the man. I especially love Buck's quote:

Your horse is a mirror to
your soul. Sometimes you may not
like what you see. . .  Sometimes you will.

Horses were a childhood passion that inspired much of my artwork. With renewed inspiration, I think its time to collect my art supplies and begin sketching these beautiful animals once again. I think you'll understand the motivation once you see this insightful documentary.

3 comments:

  1. Nice to hear from you, Karen. Thanks for your kind comments. I think I'll refer this movie to our youngest daughter who lives in south Florida and now has two horses (along with goats and chickens)...she would enjoy the film.

    Best wishes to you and yours for a very happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just shared your post with a friend who is a HUGE Buck Brannaman fan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the compelling film recommendation - and I hope we get to see your sketches of horses . . .

    ReplyDelete

What makes a blog worth reading? Comments from people like you. Share your thoughts here.