Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Red-bellied Woodpecker

There's nothing visibly red about his belly but take a look at that head. This woodpecker has been around the area for a while and utilizes every feeder that I have out. Since he is such a large bird (over nine inches), he doesn't necessarily fit all of them, but, as you can see, that doesn't stop him.


Red-bellied Woodpeckers are non-migratory and they like to eat insects, nuts, and fruits; and visit feeders and suet blocks. It hammers acorns and berries into crevices of trees for winter food. Their favorite hangout is shady woodlands where they excavate holes in rotten wood looking for spiders, centipedes and beetles. Yum! I guess I'll go have lunch now.

2 comments:

  1. I really like the clean white background in these photos. This rascally bird looks exactly like what I call a red-headed woodpecker here. We had one pecking on a large palm tree outside our window in south Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat bird. I love that bit about them hammering food into tree trunks for winter collecting.

    ReplyDelete

What makes a blog worth reading? Comments from people like you. Share your thoughts here.