Monday, November 7, 2011

knit 1, purl 2: A Yellow Sweater


Several boxes in the attic are filled with keepsakes collected over the decades; endearing memories of years past.

This sweater was part of a set that I knitted for my first born over forty years go—a seven pound, one ounce son. As you may have guessed, we didn't know the sex of the baby at the time. Such frivolous knowledge was not as common in "those days."

Learning how to knit helped me through a challenging time in my life.

Although my husband was stationed at an Air Force base in the city, we lived a few miles out of town.  Knitting classes were being offered at a Sears store on the outskirts of San Antonio. I remember waiting until he returned home so I would have a car to drive myself to the weekly class. When your home is a twenty-seven-foot-long trailer located in a small, countryside trailer park, a beginners knitting class is a welcome break.

Once our son was born, a Port-A-Crib filled the space where our bed had been. My husband and I slept on a reclining couch in the living room. I remember the two dollar Charlie Brown Christmas tree that we bought that year and how my feet brushed against it as we slept. There was hardly a needle on it by the time the season was over.

6 comments:

  1. What a sweet little yellow sweater :-) Difficult times provide us with the best memories and stories, don't they? Then again, that's probably only true AFTER the difficult times end, huh?! Live. Learn. Grow. Remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh at your reminiscences of the "good old days." Times have certainly changed. We bought our first home in 1960 in Scottsdale, Arizona for $11,250. We had the crappiest furniture you could image...cement floors, no carpet and no furniture in the living room for five years. That's when we sold and moved, of course.

    Thanks for you nice comments about our photography. The moon shot: I used my Nikon D300...on a tripod, with a 300mm lens. I set the shutter speed to 250 and the f/stop to f/11. Those are usually pretty good settings for moon shots. I also use a remote 'cause it's too easy to bump the camera pushing that little button! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie: Nice comment regarding difficult times. BTW. . . the sweater is a size 0-3 months. It is even smaller than it looks. It is quite sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lowell: Thanks for sharing the information about your "moon shot." I feel more prepared for my next moon shot now. Love the "crappiest furniture" comment. Shouldn't there be a museum for such things? The problem is that it would have to be at least as big as the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a pretty sweater. It's so finely knit! It's so small that it looks like it could be for a doll. You must have had a lot of patience.

    To follow up with Julie's comment. They say "“Nostalgia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days.”

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the quote, Jessie. 'Tis true.

    ReplyDelete

What makes a blog worth reading? Comments from people like you. Share your thoughts here.