Sunday, November 27, 2011

Best Gifts of All

Wind it up and watch Santa juggle the snowball as he dances to a music box rendition of Jingle Bells. This was a gift from my husband's parents, given to me sometimes during the 1970s. A fun gift that caught the eye of my father-in-law while shopping. A gift that's earned respect because it still works after all these years.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have fond memories of a bedroom shared with my brother and sisters. My sisters and I slept in the same bed. We would "finger draw"on each other's backs and then try to guess what had been drawn. The drafty old farmhouse that we lived in made bedroom and bed sharing a necessity.

This melancholy looking bear was a Christmas gift from my parents during this time. I recall my mother teasingly holding the bear up for a second as she was walked through the living room. She and my dad had just returned from a shopping trip that Christmas Eve. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When my children were young, we did a variety of crafts together. The ornaments in the photos were made during these early years. I remember time spent with my son and daughters as they worked on these special projects. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kind words. . . the best gift of all.

Sent earlier today, a sweet message from daughter Stephanie:

"I just ate my first piece of after-Thanksgiving pie. And as I'm carefully taking each perfect bite, a combination of pie and whipped cream, I realized that the reason I like your pie so much is because it brings back memories of a happy childhood. As far back as I can remember there has always been the security of home with the, sometimes simple, traditions and consistency of mom and dad. And that's why I like your pie!"

2 comments:

  1. Love your post - the beautiful note from your daughter! - and the notes on why certain Xmas items are treasured. Esp. love the bit about your mother 'teasingly' holding the bear up as she passed through the room. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the nice comment re: my treasured Christmas items, Sharon C.

    ReplyDelete

What makes a blog worth reading? Comments from people like you. Share your thoughts here.