Sunday, January 16, 2011

Spinach Bisque and Life in Shorts

Never let it be said that I blogged my followers to death. When I created my blog back in 2009, I was a dedicated blogger. It was a daily ritual. I wrote about whatever came to mind. That included my pets, recipes, things I'd seen on the morning news. It took me a few weeks to realize that too much of a good thing (I'm attempting to boost my self-esteem here.) is probably not a great thing so I cut back. That eventually led to eight months of nothing. It has now been close to five months since my last post and I'm back with yet another recipe. So if you're in search of an easy soup dish that easily qualifies as "comfort food," you may want to give it a try. The recipe itself is one of hundreds that I have collected over the years. Most of which never made it beyond the box they were originally placed in. I'm glad that I rediscovered this one. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Spinach Bisque
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2-1/2 cups milk
1 cup water
3/4 cup cubed process American cheese (I used Kraft Deluxe American Cheese, which comes in a one pound loaf)
1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained (it is important to get the water out of the spinach)
Oyster crackers, optional

In a 3-quart saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and nutmeg until smooth (Note: It doesn't actually get "smooth." I mix these three ingredients into the onion/butter mix and then start adding water gradually, whisking to smooth it out.) Gradually whisk in remainder of water and milk. Add cheese; cook and stir over medium heat until melted. Add spinach; cover and simmer for 4-5 minutes or until heated through. Serve with oyster crackers if desired. Yield: 5-6 servings

I'd like to end this post with a couple Real Life Shorts (as in SNL Digital Shorts) but this post is getting rather lengthy. I will, instead, include them in my next post. In the meantime, think about this: Have you ever felt like there's a giant puppeteer in the sky manipulating your every move, making you do utterly ridiculous things? And when you do these things, he laughs his giant manipulating ass off? I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

4 comments:

  1. Yum! I'm going to try it!

    Meanwhile, do you have a strata recipe you could share? I've been meaning to make some.

    About blog posts--I don't think once a day is too much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe sounds so good. I am definitely going to have to try this.

    Thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenn Jenn...
    Let me know what you think when you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finally had time, and all of the ingredients, to try this out. I enjoyed it and will definitely be making it again. Instead of using frozen spinach I used fresh and it seemed to work out just fine. Yummmm... I was thrilled that I didn't have to use sodium-filled broth!

    Thanks for posting! Anymore delicious and easy soup recipes?

    ReplyDelete

What makes a blog worth reading? Comments from people like you. Share your thoughts here.