Friday, June 15, 2012

Life's Little Reminders


I don't recall the circumstances behind the taking of this picture but when I loaded photos from this day onto my computer, it caught my attention. 

The wraparound deck (porch) that was added to our old farm house many years ago made a tremendous difference in its overall appearance. Prior to that, it was in no way unique or special, like some 100+ year old houses you see. It was just a white two-story house with old siding and an unusual entryway that had visitors facing an open stairwell into the cellar the moment they stepped foot in the house. 

I'm happy to say that the entry has since been modernized and that the cellar stairs is no longer the first impression when visitors come to call. (We took care of that little issue when we added the deck.)

We were a family of six when we relocated to rural Cambridge and moved into this house. It had four small bedrooms upstairs; and a small bedroom, and another so called bedroom, downstairs. There were few closets and the attic space was minimal. It had but one bathroom, which is still the case today. 

The family has grown up and gone and my husband and I rarely quarrel over who gets to use the bathroom and when. (It's funny how that isn't an issue when there's only the two of you.) But, we do have three granddaughters who come to visit on occasion and when they do I sometimes hear, "I get to use the bathroom next!" A bit of a reminder of what it was like when I had four children living at home.

I like the photo in this post because of its serene airy feel, but I also like it because it reminds me of how important it is to take time to smell the roses. In other words: to take the pink floral chair cushions out of the storage bin, plop them onto the chairs you see here, squeeze a few lemons into ice-filled glasses, and then invite a few family and friends to come and sit awhile. 

2 comments:

  1. Love this post! We have a couple porches (one was added when we renovated) and, on the deck, the SAME table and chairs that you have! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful porch and a magnificent view! How do you keep yourself from sitting out there all day long?!

    ReplyDelete

What makes a blog worth reading? Comments from people like you. Share your thoughts here.