Monday, April 2, 2012

Wind, Weeds, and a Spy


Spring sprung quickly this year and so did the Japanese Knotweed, a plant species that appeared near the edge of the field behind our house several years ago. Since we were unfamiliar with this unusual ornamental, we did not attempt to eradicate it. That was a huge mistake because it has spread each year and it is now showing up in our yard.

When I researched this obnoxious plant, I learned that it is quite invasive and it is especially bad if it gets established near waterways. Each year it grows to around 10' tall and underground rhizomes extend to approximately 65'. Yikes!

I have attempted to rid our yard of Japanese Knotweed for the past three years but to no avail. Although I do not like the use of chemicals for weed control, there is no choice in this matter. So far nothing has helped and I am now cutting individual stalks with pruning sheers and immediately treating them with Roundup. Every wee bit of the plant then has to be bagged and taken to the dump. This is the recommended treatment. I've got my work cut out for me but there's really no need to state the obvious, right?

While working on the Knotweed today, I made a discovery. I guess one is never truly alone.

5 comments:

  1. Wouldn't it be great if garter snakes ate Japanese Knotwood? I've never heard of it (until now), but it sounds like the kudzu of the north!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most definitely, Julie, but wouldn't we have more snakes then? :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would that be known as bamboo? We have two large patches, but it does not seem to be spreading.
    Thanks for visiting my Journal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori: Japanese Knotweed is not bamboo, although it does have a similar appearance. The same sort of treatment is necessary to get rid of bamboo I hear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do feel for you! We are currently living in a twin-home in a gated community where the exterior is maintained for us. Prior to that we lived in a house on 1/2 acre which was heavily landscaped and required way too much work.

    Now I have the time to ride bike, play golf, and futz around on the computer!

    ReplyDelete

What makes a blog worth reading? Comments from people like you. Share your thoughts here.