Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Morningful


This morning shot shows the newly planted field behind our house. Once we are months into the growing season and the corn has reached full height, a wall of privacy will have emerged. This is due to the fact that we are surrounded by fields.

A strange phenomenon occurred when we first moved here nearly twenty five years ago. It was harvest time and I had run into town to take care of some errands. When I returned home later that day, someone had actually moved our house closer to the road. The nerve!

In reality, the corn had been harvested and our illusive wall of privacy had been lost in the process. I felt so exposed, so violated, so. . . incomplete (not really).

For those of you who are curious about the gnarly tomato in the foreground of the photo: I know without a smidgen of doubt that I tossed it into the weeds yesterday. (I'm really not as wasteful as it seems.) How it ended up in the yard I'm not sure but I have my suspicions.


How Halle manages to run after anything with those stubby legs and feet, I'll never know.

3 comments:

  1. Halle is so adorable... and quite a fetch artist! I know the feeling of being surrounded by cornfield walls. I grew up with, and without, them season after season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really do have quite a place! My sister has lived on a farm up north of Eau Claire for many years.

    Love Halle...reminds me very much of a dog we had years ago.

    Your story is quite corny, but I liked it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lowell. I remember you mentioning your sister in Eau Claire. That's a lovely area. Re "corny": Remember, I'm from the midwest. We like corn. :-)

    ReplyDelete

What makes a blog worth reading? Comments from people like you. Share your thoughts here.