Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A Tomato's A Tomato

Without question, this photo belongs on my blog. I'm not sure why. It simply does. I like the way the sunlight adds dimension and interest to the stem. But what intrigues me most is the shape of the fruit. It's not what I expected a grape tomato to look like at this stage. I thought they would be oval and have a smooth round end. I also thought they would be red.

Anticipation has been building the past few weeks. The thought of having these lovely bite size wonders right outside my back door has been exciting. Such convenience would allow me to eat them morning, noon and night—whenever I so desired. NOT!

As I watched the fruit slowly take shape,  I began to realize that I purchased the wrong the plant. Those of you who are seasoned gardeners will likely recognize it for what it is, a roma grape tomato. This is the first time I've grown this variety so it should be interesting to watch it progress. I know that romas can be used in a variety of ways but I will still miss the convenience of having grape tomatoes within arm's reach of my deck.

1 comment:

  1. Love the photo . . .I'm hypnotized by our own small garden - the astoundingness of these plants growing and producing edibles!

    ReplyDelete

What makes a blog worth reading? Comments from people like you. Share your thoughts here.