Friday, August 7, 2009

Fried Green Tomatoes



I realize this looks like a plate of chocolate chip cookies but they are actually the tomatoes shown in my previous post. This particular Fried Green Tomatoes recipe was found online. Cornmeal and flour are the main ingredients of the batter, along with a lot of cooking oil. I'm including the recipe if you would like to give it a try. I'll probably ditch the flour next time and just use cornmeal like my mother used to do. Hers is a lighter version — if there is such a thing. If anyone has a good recipe for FGT, I'd love to hear from you.

Fried Green Tomatoes
 
3-4 green tomatoes (slice approx. 3/8" thick)

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup corn meal
1/2 teaspoon salt & pepper
Milk
Vegetable oil (Recipe says to use 2" of oil but I used around 1" of oil. I think less oil could be used.)

Mix together flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper. Add enough milk to create a thick batter (it took quite a bit for the amount of flour, etc.). Heat oil in large skillet (I tested temperature by dropping a small amount batter into hot oil). Batter each tomato slice and wipe off excess. Carefully place in hot oil, browning on both sides (may or may not need turning depending on the amount of oil) To cool, drain in a colander to keep tomatoes from becoming soggy. Salt to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What makes a blog worth reading? Comments from people like you. Share your thoughts here.