Sunday, May 15, 2011

Observing Nature's Palette


Far off in the distance yet right in front of me; directly overhead but still beneath my feet; to my left, yet to my right; well behind me but still in sight...

Yes, Green is everywhere. The trees, bushes, and plethora of plants show they are survivors—despite the harsh Wisconsin winters. "Welcome, welcome, welcome" is all I have to say. "I'm glad to see you made it!"

On my porch hangs a luscious Fuschia plant. It attracts the first hummingbird of the season. Seeing it changes the rhythm of my heartbeat for an instant.

I am been blessed with good fortune this past week as a rainbow of colorful finches line the circumference of the feeder...purples and golds. A pair of black and orange Baltimore Orioles, a bright blue Indigo Bunting and black and white Rose-breasted Grosbeak color the landscape. Mourning Doves, Downy Woodpeckers, White-breasted Nuthatches, Northern Cardinals, Blue Jays, Red-winged Blackbirds, Northern Flickers, and untold species of sparrows stop by to say "Hello" and "I'm back."

4 comments:

  1. What glorious birds visit you!
    P.S. Glad you are enjoying Ruby Holler :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to hear that you have finally been greeted by spring/summer. It's been 17 years since I've lived in WI. Now that I live in SC, I take short winters for granted and expect birds, flowers and vegetables to show up after only a few chilly months. I'm spoiled. Still, I miss those cold, snowy winters. They build character. You are a lucky woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have an array of birds this time of year, Sharon. We have our regulars and those that stop in on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Julie. The nice weather is a welcome sight. People seem to be smiling more. 17 years is a long time to be away. Are you sure about what you said about missing the cold snowy winters? They get mighty long. It makes you appreciate the spring/summer months though. I love the cool summer nights in the north. Campfire weather!!

    ReplyDelete

What makes a blog worth reading? Comments from people like you. Share your thoughts here.