Friday, November 16, 2012

Snap, Pop, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle


I reside in a century old farm house in the the Upper Midwest. It sets on a shallow knoll and is surrounded by open fields. Ash trees, a few large pines, and a row of haggard cedar trees add interest to the yard but none provide great protection from the cold winter winds; especially those that blow across the west field and barrel up our long driveway.

On a blustery winter day it is not unusual to hear a symphony that plays out something like this: snap, pop, rattle, rattle, rattle, crackle, THUMP! That would be my house's way of telling me that the time has come to grab a mug of hot cocoa and hunker down. Another sure sign is when the storm windows become a canvas for the ever-so-creative Mr. Jack Frost. I love to photograph the icy wind-driven sculptures that he leaves behind.

Little hunkering down encouragement is required when it comes to my cat, Lelu. When the clock strikes Fall she's on it. . . and under it, which is the case today. Although today's 50 degree temperature is mild by Wisconsin standards, I found Lelu curled up under layers of blankets in the upstairs bedroom, exactly where my husband's feet had been earlier. I guess she isn't all that picky about where she chooses to hunker down. 

2 comments:

  1. You've brought back lots of memories here. When I was quite young we'd visit my mother's mom in northern Minnesota. I remember clearly those times when the wind blew and the house made all sorts of eerie and strange sounds. They didn't frighten me, but were a bit unsettling.

    If one wishes to hunker down in comfortable fashion one should follow a cat. They know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lelu is one smart cat! Hunkering down under blankets on a cold day is a wonderful feeling, indeed.

    ReplyDelete

What makes a blog worth reading? Comments from people like you. Share your thoughts here.